April 4: The kids germinated some radishes and snap peas before the school spring break.
“They were so excited. I am looking forward to when we can get down and dirty and so are they.”
—- Gwen Bouler, teacher/garden coordinator —-
Ryan and Tony holding up our name…”John R. King’s Green Avengers”
Monica, our liaison with the School Garden Collaborative
This is our home-base…the greenhouse
Handing out assigments
Clearing the topsoil off of the old beds
Michigan First Credit Union has donated the following to the gardens of Nolan Elementary Middle School and John R. King Performing Arts Academy and School:
· Wildflower Garden Seeds – “Hummingbird & Butterfly Mix”
· Cantaloupe – “Summer Snack” Hybrid
· Lettuce – “Grand Rapids” Leaf
· Squash – “Straight-neck Early Yellow
· Squash – “Table Queen”
· Sweet Basil Jiffy
· Grow Greenhouses (72 plants)
· 25 pairs of gloves to be used at the garden
· A set of hand tools (25 pieces) to be used at the garden
· 3 Watering Cans
· 2 packs (10 per) “T” Labels – Row Markers/Plant Nameplate
This is our staging area, where we plant our sprouts that we grew in petri dishes
(1) row of lettuce and (1) row of Collared Greens
Some things are growing
Whatever they are, there’s a lot of them!
Mrs. Beamon and volunteers on the installation day of the raised beds
Caleb leveling the beds
Who is this? It’s Lashawa Sims, math instructional specialist. “She gardens”
Celeste Turner, Michele from the LSCO, Caleb, and myself transferring dirt.
“The girl at work took our app to the garden resource and picked up the plants yesterday so that is finally done. Our garden assistant (School Garden Collaborative) came today and we planted a hummingbird and butterfly garden. I hope it comes up. The other plants are coming up fine I think and the students love it.”
—- Gwen Bouler, teacher, garden coordinator —-
Finally, the beds are in, plants are going in as well. Ms. Jones, Jacob, Marquez, and Ryan lay out a plan.
Yes, this makes sense to me!
Deep in thought, “How many beds to go”?
- Days Of Our Garden: Diary II (December 2012 – March 2013) (johnrkingacademicperformingartsacademy.wordpress.com)
- Getting Started! (johnrkingacademicperformingartsacademy.wordpress.com)
- Welcome (johnrkingacademicperformingartsacademy.wordpress.com)
- Tips to make outdoor gardening easy, fun and stylish (bellacor.com)
- Herb Gardening with Your Child (babyzone.com)
- Gardening (with finesse) (colourfulchameleon.wordpress.com)
- Why Winter is the Coolest Growing Season Around (hopegardens.wordpress.com)